So we are officially on baby watch!! It’s so exciting to think that baby could be here any hour/any day! It seems like a loooong time ago since my positive pregnancy test, even longer because this baby has been on our hearts for quite awhile.
As we’re getting into the countdown I thought I’d share some of our home birth and postpartum essentials. After having Augustine in a hospital with an OB/nurse team and a doula and Corinna in a birthing center with midwives, a home birth felt like the next step. Birth is such a beautiful and empowering experience, and it’s truly amazing what the female body is capable of. I’ve been in full-on nesting and prep mode, so my Walmart+ membership has come in extra handy with free same day delivery from my store, with no markups I have to add! That’s a benefit I’ve loved so much lately, along with saving up to 10 cents on every gallon at over 14k stations nationwide (Fuel discount arise by location & station, subject to change). Being able to get free same delivery (with $35 order minimum) has been such a life hack for us, especially considering how busy our fall schedule has been with soccer, swim, music, and our normal homeschool routine.
MY HOME BIRTH + POSTPARTUM ESSENTIALS
For Home Birth
- 2 sets of bed sheets (1 set for labor and birth, and one for after the birth)- This sheet set has amazing 5 star reviews and the price is so good!
- 2 waterproof mattress covers or plastic backed sheet 40×72 – We picked up this one and this one.
Tip: my midwives recommended that we double make our bed: Place the first waterproof mattress cover over your mattress and put on 1 set of clean sheets. On top of this layer, place the 2nd waterproof mattress cover and the 2nd set of clean sheets. (make sure the 2nd set of sheets are old or ones you don’t mind getting soiled)
- 6 + Bath Towels (preferable white for easy cleaning) –
- 8 + wash clothes- this set is on sale and is made with 100% Turkish Cotton.
- 6-10 Cotton receiving blankets- How pretty is this 100% cotton set if you know you’re having a girl?? And love these receiving blankets for a little boy! And these are fun too!!
- 2 packages (10-14) disposable large size Chux pads or waterproof underpads (30 x 36)- ok not glamorous but you need them! I looked all over and these were the most affordable by far!
- Small package of Depends underwear– again, birth isn’t that glamorous but these are so much easier to use postpartum than pads!
- Heating pad– Heating pads are so helpful during heavy contractions and can also be comforting after delivery too! If you know the power of using heating pads with period cramps, you’ll appreciate it during this time too!
- Calcium– My midwife said this is helpful for easing the cramps after delivery, especially if you have had a baby previously.
- Coconut water for electrolytes and hydration- this coconut water is my absolute favorite!
- Easily digestible food for labor (i.e. fruits, yogurt, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, puddings, smoothies, boiled eggs, broth, honey sticks etc)
- Newborn diapers
- 2 Baby hats if desired- perfectly gender-neutral for our little surprise!
SCROLL THROUGH MY PICKS:
- Haaka Silicone Breast Pump– this is probably my #1 recommendation for first time pregnant mamas! I can’t stress how amazing and necessary the Haaka is! Simply suction to your breast and let the pump do the work for you as it draws your milk using suction. While you’re feeding on one side, the Haaka easily catches from the other which helps tremendously in the first few weeks when your supply is regulating. It’s soft and very comfortable. Not at all like a typical breast pump.
- Breast Milk Collectors – I’m definitely interested in trying these out this tim too. I have had an oversupply issue, which actually led to mastitis that turned into an abscess so I’m all about doing anything I can to catch my extra milk and regulate my supply more easily.
- If you’re looking for a wearable electric breast pump, I did use the Willow with Corinna. I would just recommend not using it right away.
- 3 in 1 Postpartum Support Birth Recovery Belly, Waist, Pelvis Belt – I’ve used this postpartum with both A&C and I think it’s so helpful in keeping everything tucked in, while also helping with posture which can be negatively affected in those early weeks.
- Lansinoh Soothies Cooling Gel Pads – for instant relief! Tip: put these in the fridge!
- Frida Mom Postpartum Recovery Kit– this kit has all the essentials!
- Friday Mom Upside Down Peri Bottle– just the most genius invention!
- Wire Free Nursing Bras– I’m already wearing these now! So much more comfortable!
- Nursing Pillow- This is so handy, even if you only use it for the first 6 months. We used the Boppy with Augustine and Corinna, but this time I’m trying out the My Brest Friend which I’ve heard really good things about! Would love to know if you’ve compared both! (If you’re having a girl though, this print in the Boppy is BEYOND cute!)
- Baby Lounger– This baby lounger and infant floor set is made with organic cotton, and it’s a great soft and cozy place for your baby to hang out. It’s currently on sale for $35 and all the reviews are so good!
- Friday Mom Postpartum Gummies for Lactation– if you’re wanting some extra support with nursing, these gummies were recommended to me!
- Earth Mama Organic Nipple Butter– I’ve loved several products from this brand, and their nipple butter is another highly recommended one! You can even apply during the last trimester to help soften things up. I’m not going to lie, your nipples definitely go through a lot those first few weeks, but this cream makes it so much better!!
- Frida Mom Breast Care Self Care Kit– Whether you’re dealing with stubborn clogged ducts or milk let-down lags, this kit has you covered. From a heated lactation massager to reusable instant heat breast packs to breast sheet masks, you’ll have everything you need to relieve breastfeeding pain.
SCROLL THROUGH MY PICKS:
HOW IS WALMART+ DIFFERENT FROM OTHER MEMBERSHIPS?
- I feel like while other memberships we have (or have had) are constantly changing their prices, Walmart+ has always been the same. It’s just $12.95/month or $98/year which gives you so many benefits.
- Other memberships sneak in markups on delivery, but the Walmart+ membership gives you the same everyday low prices that you would normally get in a Walmart store delivered for free with no markups. ($35 order min. Restrictions apply.)
- Fuel savings! This is a big one! You save up to 10 cents on every gallon 14,000+ fuel stations. No additional purchases necessary! Cue the clapping hands! (Fuel discount varies by location & station. subject to change)
- You get benefits that you’d actually use and savings that are pretty impossible to find anywhere else.
- The latest benefit for members is that you get 6 free months of Spotify Premium! We love Spotify and listening ad-free is definitely the way to go! Note that the Spotify benefit isn’t available for trial members or Spotify users who have already tried Premium.
We’ve calculated it before and we can easily save over $1300 a year with the different benefits!* Compared against 2 deliveries/week at non-member $7.95 fee + 2 Walmart.com orders under $35/week at non-member 6.99 shipping fee. Restrictions apply.
One of the best parts is that if you’re curious about checking out the Walmart+’s membership, they offer a free 30-day trial so you can test it out before committing. It’s a great way to see if it will be a fit for your family!
Is there anything else I’m missing on my Home Birth + Postpartum Essentials list? Let me know in the comments!
SHOP THIS POST
DISCLOSURE: Thank you Walmart+ for being such an amazing partner! All thoughts and opinions, as always, are my own. Thanks for supporting my sponsors!